Tuesday, April 21, 2009

week 29-and OH! what a week it was!

What a week this has been! Honestly, i didnt think it could get any worse as each event happened.
The week started pleasantly, we celebrated Aarons 26th Birthday, he went to work as normal, and i cooked a lovely meal at home for him to come home to, as well as some yummy cakes :)
Dinner went great, we had mum home for the night too so she ate with us and then her and Aaron got stuck into a bit of arranging in the garage together.
At this point in the night, i was starting to experience some back pain out of nowhere...it got progressively worse in a short amount of time and i decided to sit/lay down while they did what they did.Aaron and i watched a movie, and i layed with my wheat pack on my back hoping to relieve some of the pain...i thought this had worked and managed to actually fall asleep on the couch...only to wake up an hour later, everyone else having gone to bed, and i could not move the pain was excruciating.
I attempted to get up and walk and it was clearly not going to be the easiest thing to do...i went in and told Aaron something was wrong, he could see that the pain was pretty bad.
I decided to try and have a shower and see if the warm water could help...it didnt.
When i got out of the shower i told him we need to go to the hospital and he was quick to get a few things together for us to take.After going to the hospital close to home and them not being able to actually do anything for me(they have no facilities for pregnancy related problems), we headed to Gold Coast hospital and straight to the emergency room, who directed us straight to the labour and delivery ward.We got in, i explained what i was feeling, they hooked my up to all the monitors, put the bands on me to monitor Carters heartbeat and any contractions i was having.At this stage they had taken a urine sample and determined i had an infection, but were not sure on the extent of it.
Aaron was falling asleep, i think it was about 3am at this point.
Carters heartbeat was loud on the monitor, he was doing well, and then he was not.
His heartbeat was fluctuating from 122-196 and at one stage the Dr lost it altogether.
I was having mild contractions, but nothing that would indicate labour.
At around 5am the Dr came in and told me that the infection had spread very rapidly to my kidneys and it was quite severe, i would be getting admitted right away to stay in and be put on an antibiotic drip.
I woke Aaron and before i knew it, he was in the elevator going down to go home and i was going up to have a permanent bed for the night.
I got a couple of hours sleep, and then the high risk Dr saw me first thing in the morning, she had already gone over my history and knew the risks associated with everything and had decided that our best shot right now was for me to have steroid injections (betamethasone) to strengthen Carters lungs in case he was to come right now.I didnt hesitate, i think i was too tired and worried to even think too much about what she was actually saying.
That needle...hurt...like...hell!! But it was the best chance he had.
By lunch that next day i was told that i wouldn't be leaving and i would be staying another night, staying on the drip and having to have another steroid shot in the morning before i could go home.So i spent the night again.
The next day i felt alot better, very tired but so ready to go home....i had the other shot (hurt like hell x2 this time)! we waited for my last round of antibiotics to go through the drip and then we went home.
All was well, i was put on a course of antibiotics for 10 days...But Carter was not moving...and did not move for almost 24 hours.
We cancelled our trip away we had planned and just waited to see if we needed to go back to the hospital or if perhaps he was just tired.
Saturday morning, he was back to normal and so we decided to take our 6 hour trip away to see Aarons family, everything was fine when we were away, Carter was over active if anything, but we were glad to get home on the Sunday so we weren't far away after the week we had had.

Aside from that, my car was assessed and they worked out that the damage done to it was $3031!!

Week 29
Your baby's head is in proportion with body now. He appears more like a newborn each and every day!
Fat continues to accumulate under the skin -- only now preparing for entering the *real world*.
Your baby's brain can control primitive breathing and body temperatures.
His eyes can move in their sockets. Soon he will be able to follow a blinking light.
Your baby is increasingly sensitive to changes in light, sound, taste, and smell! Various studies show that your baby may indicate preferences (or disdain) for particular tastes or odors at this stage
He is also moving from side to side, but probably still is head up. In the next few weeks, he will move to the head down birthing position. At times you may feel as if he is performing somersaults for a circus act!
Her length is now approximately 15.2 inches (38.6cm) and weight is 2.54 pounds (1153gm)


My Music