Lilypie

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Week 13

This week came with yet another scare...Yeh it really doesn't end.
Good news out of the way first...Nuchal Results!!
They are fantastic.
Odds are as follows-
Trisomy 21 (Downs syndrome) 1:19803

Trisomy 13+18 (Edwards syndrome and Patau's syndrome) 1:36426
So as you can see, those odds are really great and very reassuring :)
On to the scary news...after going over my nuchal results i noticed that the tech had measured my cervical length and that it had been noted to only be 2.31cm!! This is not great at all, and most Dr's will take anything under 2.5cm as pre term labour.
So yes, i freaked and called my Dr asap.Of course, it being the Xmas holidays they were closed and he wasn't taking any appointments and my appointment was not until the following Friday...he called me back anyway, and i managed to get in at a time that he was planning to call into the office while it was shut to get checked over.
This was today...and omg,it was by far the worst thing i have been through pregnant so far.He did a full internal on me which took around 40 Min's and had me in tears. Due to the previous surgery, internals are never a nice thing to start with, but an in depth one is not something i really want to ever have to go through again...which unlucky for me, i now have to have every 2 weeks.
Good news is, my cervix was at 4.2cm, which is perfect for this time.Which means there is no cercalge (cervical stich) needed for now.Which we are hoping stays the same because there are more risks than nessessary to have it put in, int he first place, particularily infection and scar tissue.
But i am now in as a risk patient and have to see him every two weeks and have the same check done, to monitor it.
He also did the full physical on me today, checked all of my glands for lumps and bumps, breasts and abdomen.Everything is good, with the exception of my gallbladder which will inevitably have to be removed once baby is here so long as i can hold it off that long(which i already knew about this week just from my GP).
Alot of keeping that happy is just going to be eating better and avoiding fatty,greasy and fried foods :(

I am still hurting from the internal, and still bleeding, which of course is scary, but i know he did alot down there so i hope that's all it is.
Dr scanned really quickly over baby just to make sure the heart was still beating, and it was there flicking away straight away.He didn't do any measuring or checking the bpm but that's not what i was there for.
So now, we see him again on the 15th and that's when we go for the tour of the hospital as well, and get booked in, and set with the hospitals antenatal carers as well as my Dr, since we are doing co-care.
I was not going to go the rest of the pregnancy with my Dr, and just use the hospital for anything i needed, but under the circumstances, he would like me to stay under his care for the long term.Which i don't have any problem with...except that it costs me out of pocket for everything he does and every time i see him.But oh well, whatever is going to give baby the best care and looking after possible.
The only other news this week is the strange fact that we are only a couple of days away from hitting the 2nd trimester and i am sicker than ever instead of being better.
I had my first puking session last night, it came completely out of the blue...was sitting down to some chicken noodle soup and toast and didn't feel right...walked myself to the bathroom and sure enough, up it all came.LOL.
Its so me though...get worse when I'm supposed to get better.I just hope its very short term and goes away as quickly as it came.I would hate to be sick more from here on in....i am sooo longing to enjoy being pregnant with this baby.


Week 13
Your infant is about 2.91 inches (7.4cm) and weighs around 0.81 ounce (23gm) - This is about the same weight as 4 quarters.
If you could peek in again you may spot your baby as he begins to practice inhaling and exhaling movements
Eyes and ears continue to move and develop
Baby's neck is getting longer, and the chin no longer is resting on his chest
Her hands are becoming more functional - Your baby may find it comforting to start playing with her fist.
At this point all nourishment is received from the placenta
On your next doctor visit you should be able to hear heartbeat with a Doppler by now - (Don't worry though if you can't, the heartbeat can be confirmed through U/S). Your baby's heartbeat is much rapider than your own and may remind you of the race towards birth that he is running!

My Music